Yum. I am salivating already! I love brownies, and this recipe came about through necessity. I am not a vegan, but I had no eggs or butter in the house, but needed my chocolate fix, so off i went to find a recipe. I found a fab recipe here: http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/6036/vegan-brownies.aspx. This was my go to for a really long time, but a lack of demerara meant experimenting, and through this I think I may have found the perfect recipe!
- 250g plain flour
- 100g demerara sugar
- 250g Soft Light Brown Sugar
- 65g plain cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 250ml water
- 250ml vegetable oil
- Maple Syrup
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- In a large bowl, mix together all of the dry ingredients so they are evenly distributed
- In another bowl, mix together the wet ingredients (except the maple syrup). they wont come together very well, so don’t panic too much. Its basically just so that they can be evenly added.
- Slowly add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients. constantly stiring with the back of a wooden spoon. think of it like you are creaming them together. First, it will resemble a crumb. then a thick paste, then it will get thinner. Doing it gradually like this means you will get a really smooth mixture. putting all of the liquid in at once could leave you with floury lumps which are quite difficult to rectify.
- once fully combines, pour into a greased brownie tray.
- Bake for around half an hour. If you want them more gooey, reduce this time, if you want them cakey, leave them in for longer. Its your call. At the very least though, a clean toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake should come out clean.
- Take it out of the oven. Immediately brush with a liberal layer of maple syrup using a pastry brush.
- Leave to cool and cut into nice big squares
There you have it. Your very own beautiful vegan brownies. Enjoy!